Oral cancer can be a devastating disease if left unchecked. If, on the other hand, the condition is detected early and treated promptly, your prognosis is much better. That’s why we perform an oral cancer screening as part of your six-month checkup at our Glenwood Springs dentist office.
How is a Screening Performed?
An oral cancer screening is a quick and painless process. We examine various areas of your mouth, face and neck both visually and through palpation (touch). We look at your eyes and face for any signs of lumps, swelling or discoloration that might indicate a problem. The dentist palpates your neck, checking for lumps, enlarged lymph nodes, masses on your thyroid gland or other abnormalities.
The screening also involves taking a close look at your lips, tongue and gums to spot any bumps, swelling or redness. We check your hard and soft palate, the sides and floor of your mouth and your tonsils (if present), as well.
If anything suspicious is spotted during the exam, the dentist will direct you to see your doctor for more in-depth analysis. While it may be determined that abnormal tissue is benign, it is better to go through the testing process than to ignore something that is ultimately determined to be cancer. The sooner you begin treatment, the better your outcome.
Great Reasons to Get an Oral Cancer Screening from Your Glenwood Springs Dentist
Getting an oral cancer screening is truly a “no lose” situation. Here’s why:
- The screening is done for no additional charge as part of your checkup. It’s a free service that delivers incredible value.
- It takes your dentist just a few minutes to perform the examination as you sit comfortably in the exam room chair.
- It’s a simple, painless exam that feels more like a massage than an important procedure!
- The screening can catch cancer in the early stages and save your life.
- Knowing the dentist is keeping an eye on your oral health is very reassuring.
If you are due for a dental cleaning, don’t hesitate — make your appointment with Dr. Steinbach or Dr. Van Gorden in our Glenwood Springs dentist office today. Simply call 970-279-5647 or connect with us online at elevatewillits.com.
We’ve proudly provided comprehensive dental care to Basalt, Aspen, Carbondale, Glenwood Springs and surrounding Colorado areas for 25 years.