Why Patient’s are Seeking Sleep Treatment from Dentists
When people think about their dentist, they generally think about the general and cosmetic care they provide for your smile. It’s not often that patients seek treatment from their dentist for snoring and sleep apnea. Dentists have extensive knowledge and training on the region of your body where sleep apnea and snoring occur. In fact, dentists are frequently the first medical practitioners to notice signs of sleep apnea in their patients.
Nearly 22 millions of Americans are suffering from sleep apnea, a sleep disorder in which your breathing constantly stops several times throughout the night. Dr. Van Gordon at Elevate Dental Wellness has special training in sleep dentistry. If you think your heavy snoring might be a symptom of sleep apnea, he’ll make sure you get the correct diagnosis and the care that’s right for you.
Physicians typically recommend a CPAP machine for sleep apnea sufferers, and for many of them, it works. However, half or more of these patients stop using their CPAP due to its discomfort and that means they’re not getting any treatment at all.
An oral appliances is a custom-designed mouth guard that’s used to treat obstructive sleep apnea. It works by gently moving your jaw forward to clear the obstruction in your airway that can cause both sleep apnea and heavy snoring. Due to its level of personalization, many patients are more likely to comply with and overall prefer oral appliances over CPAP.
Advantages of an Oral Appliance
At Elevate Dental Wellness, Dr. Van Gorden and Dr. Steinbach want to help our patients who suffer from severe snoring or obstructive sleep apnea obtain a restful, uninterrupted night’s sleep. Oral appliances, also known as a dental mouthpiece or a snore guard, offer many benefits, including a full night’s rest for both you and your partner.
The advantages that our local Aspen and Basalt patients will receive with an oral appliance include:
- Custom-made for you
- Small and portable
- Don’t require a power source
Improve Your Quality of Life
Both your physical and psychological health are extremely important for your wellbeing. Sleep apnea reduces the amount of quality sleep you’re getting every night and it also reduces the oxygen in your bloodstream. This results in serious health issues, including weight gain, depression, mood swings, irritability, fatigue, and increased blood pressure. Once you’ve been officially diagnosed, treatment provided by Dr. Van Gordon will alleviate your symptoms and protect your health.
As a highly-trained sleep dentist, Dr. Van Gorden is here to treat your condition. Here are five ways these dental devices can change your life:
- Improved health: Oral appliances reduce the risk of serious health problems such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, strokes, and liver problems.
- Better weight management: Sleep apnea reduces your metabolism, and this makes you more susceptible to weight gain. Sleep apnea also triggers the release of a chemical called ghrelin, which makes people crave carbohydrates. Getting effective treatment for your sleep apnea makes it much easier to manage your weight.
- Clears your mind: The oxygen deprivation caused by obstructive sleep apnea can impact your memory and intellectual function. Oral devices allow you to breathe freely throughout the night and provide you with a refreshed mind in the morning.
- Repairs relationships: Seeking proper treatment for your sleep complications can vastly improve your relationship. Your partner will no longer be irritated by your snoring, and you both will be capable of receiving quality sleep, which can also enhance intimacy in a relationship.
- Positive energy: An oral appliance will boost your energy and make you feel happier overall because of your improved sleep. When people aren’t tired, they feel rejuvenated and excited to face the day ahead of them.
Visit Elevate Dental Wellness in Basalt
If your snoring and unwanted emotional and physical symptoms have damaged your health, wellbeing, and your relationship, call 970-279-5647 to schedule a consultation or learn more about our sleep dentistry treatments and services online at elevatewillits.com.