Did you know that throughout the ages, fillings for teeth have been made out of everything from stone chips, to various metals, and even lead? Or that before 1960, Americans believed that toothaches were caused by a tooth worm that bore its way into their teeth? Our point? Every day, medicine discovers more about the human body and how it reacts to things. And that includes dentistry.
Natural dentistry (also known as holistic dentistry or biological dentistry, among other names), is comparable to alternative medicine for dentistry. Holistic dentists believe that in order to help their patients have healthy mouths, they don’t have to use chemicals and additives that can actually cause more harm than good. These substances can disrupt the healthy balance of bacteria in your mouth and body.
Natural dentistry promotes health and wellness, rather than the treatment of disease. It encourages proper nutrition to help prevent and reverse dental diseases. Dentists that practice natural dentistry avoid the use of dental materials that contain toxins.
So what does natural dentistry entail? At Elevate Dental Wellness, we practice biological dentistry:
- Natural remedies for oral health: Your mouth actually has a healthy balance of bacteria that can be disrupted by the chemicals and additives that many dental supplies have in them. We partner with a local apothecary to provide more natural options for our patients.
- Supplementation: Some oral health conditions can be improved with the introduction of nutritional supplements into your diet. We carry some pharmaceutical grade supplements that help with these conditions.
- Biocompatibility testing: Just like your body can react to food allergens, it can react with materials that dentists use. Serum compatibility testing allows us to see what materials react with a patient’s serum proteins, and the magnitude to which that reaction occurs.
- Fluoride free: Some dentists start using fluoride treatments on patients as young as 6 years old. We believe that there are less toxic ways to enhance remineralization and decrease demineralization on your teeth. All the restorative materials that we use in our office are fluoride, Bis-GMA, and BPA free.
- Ozone therapy: Ozone is used as a non-toxic dental therapy, and is effective at killing bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites in the mouth. It can be used as a water, gas, or oil, and helps with a range of things – from reducing tooth sensitivity, to stopping the progression of periodontal disease.
- Nutritional counseling: Proper nutrition is the foundation for total body health – including your mouth. We take a look at your nutritional habits, and may even make some recommendations to help improve the health of your mouth.
- Barrier protected safe mercury removal: Drs. Van Gorden and Steinbach are Mercury-Free Dentists, and Elevate is 100% mercury free and mercury safe. Silver fillings continually release mercury vapor, which is toxic to humans. We follow protocols outlined by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) to reduce exposure of this harmful vapor to you, our team, and the environment.
Our goal is to help you achieve your highest state of health, and natural dentistry help us do that in the safest, most effective way possible. If you’d like to learn more about our biological dentistry offerings, you can schedule a visit by calling us at 970-279-5647, or visiting us online at elevatewillits.com.