Periodontal Care in Aspen and Basalt, CO
What is Periodontal Disease?
Here at Elevate Dental Wellness, whenever we see an issue emerge, we work to help relieve it as quickly and safely as possible. During your visit to our Basalt dental practice, we’ll always examine your gums to ensure they're healthy. If we see that your gums are infected, it’s likely you have periodontitis.
Also known as periodontal disease or gum disease, periodontitis can lead to oral pain, receding gum lines, and the loss of your teeth. When we notice gum disease in its earliest stage, we can reverse the symptoms with proper treatment and help ensure you don't get it again.
Signs of Gum Disease
Periodontal disease is caused by plaque that builds up around your gums. As the plaque continues to spread throughout your gums and around your gum line, the infection worsens and often makes your gums bleed while brushing or flossing.
Along with bleeding gums, other signs you should look out for when checking for gum disease include:
- Bad breath
- Receding gums
- Shifting or loose teeth
- Red, swollen, and tender gums
- Deep pockets between teeth and gums
- Changes in your bite
Gum disease can also be a result of other factors such as pregnancy, cancer, diabetes, bad smoking habits, certain medications, family history, or bad oral hygiene habits.
The Three Stages to Know
If you haven’t been officially diagnosed with gum disease, it’s crucial to know the three different stages to ensure you seek proper treatment from Dr. Van Gorden or Dr. Steinbach right away. Catching it in its earliest stage will prevent further health risks such as tooth loss, heart disease, or strokes.
The three phases of gum disease are:
- Gingivitis: This is the first, mildest stage of gum disease where you may notice some plaque build-up and sensitive, swollen gums. Luckily, gingivitis is reversible if you visit Elevate Dental Wellness early enough before it progresses to the next stage.
- Periodontitis: If you skipped treatment for your gingivitis, it’s probable that you’ve now advanced to a more serious stage where your soft tissue is damaged and your jawbone is losing its strength to support your teeth. Many notice bright red, tender gums, gaps beginning to form between their teeth, and severe bad breath.
- Advanced Periodontitis: Here at the final, most severe stage of the disease, your bone has been lost, as well as the periodontal tissues that support your teeth. Your teeth will loosen and begin to shift drastically. A surgical procedure may be necessary to eliminate any further infection and restore your oral health.
Treatments in the Roaring Fork Valley
Drs. Van Gorden and Steinbach want our patients to understand they’re not receiving the same care as any other patient. Each person who comes into our Basalt office receives individualized, thought out care for their gum infections. When we treat patients’ mouths with an oral infection, we'll always consider their overall health as well.
The non-surgical treatments we offer for those suffering from periodontal disease include:
- Scaling and root planing
- Irrigation with antibacterial agents
- Thorough charting of periodontal pockets
- Proper home care instructions
- Integrative and natural therapies
Request Your Dental Exam Today
Receiving treatment for periodontal disease is simple and can be cared for within just one appointment, depending on your case. Drs. Steinbach and Van Gorden will provide personalized care for each of our patients in Basalt, Aspen, and surrounding areas to ensure they receive a treatment that benefits their oral health and overall well-being.
Call today to schedule your appointment if you’ve noticed any of the above signs of gum disease before it worsens or makes treatment more difficult and expensive. Once you improve your oral habits and get rid of your unpleasant infection, you’ll be eager to shine your beautiful smile again.