Restorative dentistry is the process of addressing problems such as lost or diseased teeth. It is performed so that the state of a person’s mouth meets their functional and aesthetic requirements. As a leading Glenwood Springs dentist, we provide restorative dentistry services such as:
- Tooth removal
- Dental implants
- Full and partial dentures
- Ceramic crowns and bridges
While some restorative dentistry procedures are more focused on appearance, many have to do with the healthy functioning of the teeth, gums, and bone structure in the mouth. If functional issues aren’t addressed, they almost always lead to further problems down the road.
Dental Implants: An Example of Why Restorative Dentistry is Important
Leaving dental problems unaddressed can have a wide range of negative results. Let’s take dental implants as an example. Some people might choose not to replace a missing tooth, especially if it is not in the front of their mouth and therefore is less visible. However, the absence of even one tooth can lead to serious issues like:
- Ongoing pain and discomfort. In a mouth with a full set of teeth, each tooth helps protect those on either side, especially their roots. When a missing tooth is not replaced, the teeth bordering this gap are much more vulnerable to having food particles become painfully lodged between the gums and their roots.
- Shifting of remaining teeth. Replacing a missing tooth with an implant helps keep the teeth in that area of the mouth from shifting. When an implant or some other method of filling the gap isn’t used, the shifting can result in teeth striking one another awkwardly, which over time can cause excessive wear and damage to the remaining teeth.
- Emotional distress. If a tooth is not replaced and the gap is visible, the person can be plagued by feelings of self-consciousness and a loss of confidence. This can cause problems in many areas of life, from work to personal relationships.
Fortunately, crowns, bridges, implants, and other corrections are highly successful when provided by your Glenwood Springs dentist. So, if your approach to a dental problem is, “I’ll just live with it,” you may want to give that a second thought. Taking action now can protect you from more serious problems in the future.
Trusted Experts in Restorative Dentistry
At our Glenwood Springs dentist office, we offer a wide range of restorative dentistry services. If you’ve got questions about how we can improve the appearance and function of your teeth, or if you want to make an appointment with Dr. Steinbach or Dr. Van Gorden, please call 970-279-5647 or connect with us online.
We’ve proudly provided comprehensive dental care to Basalt, Aspen, Carbondale, Glenwood Springs, and surrounding Colorado areas for 25 years.