A dental implant is an artificial tooth that is mounted on a titanium post anchored in your jawbone below the gumline. The post serves as the “root” of the tooth, holding it secure and also stimulating the jawbone when you chew, which helps the bone stay healthy. People typically get implants at our dental office to replace teeth lost to illness or accident, or when a damaged tooth can’t be repaired.
There are many advantages of implants over dentures or simply not replacing missing teeth. They include:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look like healthy, natural teeth. And with proper care, they can continue looking that way for many years if not a lifetime.
- Enhanced self-esteem. For better or worse, the appearance of a person’s teeth and their willingness to smile are factors others use to evaluate them. Getting an attractive smile back can greatly improve your confidence.
- Greater comfort. Both dentures and missing teeth can cause discomfort. Dental implants feel like your natural teeth.
- Stabilized mouth structure. When an implant replaces a missing tooth, it helps stabilize the teeth around it, which would naturally shift somewhat into the gap, causing other oral health issues.
- More natural eating. Dentures can sometimes slip during eating, making it difficult to chew. Dental implants can make eating a natural, pain-free and enjoyable activity again.
- Better oral health. Unlike bridges, which may require the alteration of nearby teeth for support, dental implants are freestanding and securely anchored, which means your other teeth are left intact.
- Improved speech. The movement of dentures while you are speaking can cause you to slur your words. People with dentures also tend to mumble because they are uncomfortable with opening their mouth when speaking. Dental implants eliminate those concerns.
- Greater convenience. Dealing with removable dentures — from putting them in and taking them out, to cleaning them — can be very inconvenient. Dental implants only require the same brushing and flossing that your natural teeth do to stay clean and beautiful.
Helping to Restore Your Healthy Smile
As a leading dentist in the Roaring Fork Valley, we use the most advanced tools and techniques to help our clients regain their healthy smiles with dental implants. To learn more about our restorative dentistry services, call 970-279-5647 or connect with us online at elevatewillits.com.
We’ve proudly provided comprehensive dental care to Basalt, Aspen, Carbondale, Glenwood Springs and surrounding Colorado areas for 25 years.